Monday, September 26, 2011

Grandpa went to Heaven on Friday, the 16th.  I was sad that we did not get an opportunity to see him one last time.  However, I did call and talk with him on Thursday night so I know that he knows I love him dearly.  :-)  I have lost loved ones in the past but for some reason it seems a little different this time.  It's a strange feeling knowing that I will never see him again, at least here on earth.  I miss him already. 

We packed up the "new" van on Saturday and headed up to Cincinnati.  We means Libby, Caroline, Kelsey, Lindsay, Mom, Mark and Me - whew!  We did our best to honor Grandpa but I will say it was kind of hard with 3 little ones in tow!  Thankfully, the littlest one slept the entire way up and back.  She was perfect!


The two big girls, were angels on the trip as well.  Thye just required a little more attention on the drive.  I have a feeling the next time we say we are taking a trip they both may protest!






Sunday afternoon there was a visitation at the church and then the service.  I was so thankful for the pastor, Dave Dayton.  He was a dear friend of Grandpa's and did a wonderful job talking about the change that had occurred in Grandpa's life because of Christ.  It was really neat for me to hear a sort of timeline and put his life in perspective.  Grandpa did not become a Christian until he was 50!

On Monday morning we went to the cemetary for the burial.  It was really neat to visit there because most of the Schoellman family is buried there.  Grandma and Grandpa already have their headstone.


After the service we went to my aunt and uncle's house for lunch and the girls made friends with their second cousins. 



I always enjoy catching up with family.  However, that little saying about "the good, the bad and the ugly" often rings true.  We have a little bit of each in our family, as most do.  One silly example is of my Dad's cousin, Ernie. He is known as "the barefooted one" because he goes everywhere with bare feet.  He wore shoes to the service on Sunday and my mom asked if he was honoring Grandpa and he said, "No.  I'm honoring God on the Lord's Day."  Sure enough on Monday he came to the burial service with bare feet!! 

I think I'm going to have to nickname Caroline "Ernie" because this is often how she ends up in the car!



We spent A LOT of time in the car driving up there and around town getting to places.  Thankfully, the girls had a little time to play.  


They are two peas in a pod...

 

although we did hear our fair share of "mine" throughout the trip.  I also would not recommend 2 two year olds sleeping in the same bed in a small hotel room.  Mom ended up sleeping with Caroline, Lindsay slept with Kelsey and I got Libby Lee. 




Thankfully, we survived the trip and were able to say goodbye to Grandpa. 




No comments:

Post a Comment