Monday, July 23, 2012

Happy Birthday!

Today is a special day.  Three years ago today was Caroline's due date.  Little did we know she would choose to come a week early.  Last year at this time we were expecting Libby to arrive any moment.  Of course, she hung out inside a whole week past her due date.  However, being that my two favorite girls have stolen the last couple weeks of summer, my other favorite girl in the whole world has been overshadowed (how many favorites am I allowed?).  My mom's birthday is today!

I've been wanting to write a blog post for my mom for awhile but it's so hard to put everything into words.  I tried to say thank you once before but it's so hard!  I've heard people say that you become much more thankful for your parents once you become a parent.  When I think about it, this may be true.  My mom used to change my diapers?!  What-you mean I wasn't born potty trained?!  It certainly does put a new perspective on all that my Mom has done for me. 

Even if I haven't been able to understand all that my mom has done for me, I really don't recall a time that I haven't been incredibly grateful for my mom (even if I didn't show it).  She was the "soccer mom" that drove me to all my sports practices and the classroom mom too.   As an elementary school student I remember her packing my lunches and putting sweet notes in them.  I also remember her fixing my hair every day.  My parents divorced when I was in the ninth grade.  Mom balanced a lot trying to keep Lindsay and I in our activities and working a job to keep things going.  She was always putting us first!  I clearly remember her making sacrifices so that we could have what we needed or even wanted.  As I became as adult, my mom became my friend.  In college I think I called every day just to say hi and chat!  Truthfully, that still continues today because I need all the parenting advice I can get! :-)

My very favorite thing about my Mom is that she works hard to make everyone feel special and loved.  She is always thinking of others before herself!! I can't even begin to count the number of times this past year that she has dropped everything to be here for our family.  She has helped with the girls, planned parties, painted our home, cared for us when we were sick and so much more!  She has made sure that she is present and active in our lives.  I could not be more thankful!

The last few years I have learned more and more about my Mom's family and the life she had growing up.  This has made me appreciate her so much more.  She had a rough family life to say the least!  You always hear about how families are likely to continue destructive cycles.  However, that is not the case with my Mom.  With God's guidance she has cast out the rotten and replaced it with so many blessings and traditions that I can carry on with my family. 

Mom taught me so much growing up.  Early on the most important thing she taught me was how to have confidence in myself.  She taught me how to be disciplined and determined.  She also taught me how to love others by thinking of their needs.  Mark has told me before that I got a brain from my Dad but a heart from my Mom. 

Thank you for my heart Mom!!  I can't imagine living any other way and I definitely would never choose another mom!  Your heart makes you the most precious mom of all!  I hope you have the happiest of birthdays!  We can't wait to celebrate with you!

1 comment:

  1. Your sweet words are the best birthday present ever. You have such a beautiful heart (and yes you got your brains from your dad)! I LOVE YOU Nicole. By the way, what are you doing awake at 4:00 am?

    ReplyDelete