Monday, August 15, 2011

Happy "Birth" Day

I might forget all the gory details if I wait any longer to write this post.  The munchkin decided to hang out in my belly until the scheduled induction on Wednesday morning.   We headed into the hospital at 5:30 AM looking forward to the day ahead!



We got checked in and heard about what we could expect for the day.  We also got a prediction that we didn't expect.  Our first nurse told us she could predict what we would be having.  She listened to the heart beat on the monitor and told us that we would be having a girl!  She said girl heart beats sound like a washing machine and boy heart beats sound like ponies.  Up until that point, Mark and I had mentally been preparing for a little boy, just because we knew it would be a little different than Caroline.  We had absolutely no preference either way!!  However, hearing that it might be a girl was a funny feeling...almost a sigh of relief that we might be somewhat prepared!  Our nurse said she had only been wrong once in the last 6 months so now it was time to wait and see!  

Around 7:00 they started the pitocin and then around 9:00 I got the epidural.  I was a little disappointed in the whole epidural this time around.  Everyone kept telling me that the great thing about being induced is that you never have to feel any pain because you can get the epidrual pretty much whenever you are ready.  However, even after another dose of medicine in the epidural, I still felt all my contractions and they were still painful.  After the epidrual, we waited...

and waited some more!  I watched a little bit of tv, talked with Mark, visited with Lindsay and Mom and did a little knitting.  I started working on a gender neutral hat for the little one (it's still not complete)!  At noon, they checked me and I was dialated 4 cm. so Lindsay and Mom headed home for a lunch and to be with the girls.


At 1:30 Mom called and said she was on her way and picking up some snacks for after the birth.  Then around 1:45 I sent Mark to find a nurse because I felt terribly.  I couldn't find a comfortable position and I was naseous.  I'm sure I scared the nurse when she came in because I looked so unhappy.  Right away she said, let's check and see what's going on.  Within a short moment she said, "It's party time!"  She asked me to do a 'practice push' and then stopped me and went to call Merrilee, our sweet midwife.  Thankfully, Mom and Merrilee both made it to the room in the nick of time!  After two contractions, and about 8 pushes we had a precious baby gir at 2:05!!  I was thankful that the little one came out quickly, although it did take a little work on Merrilee's part.  I was so sick to my stomach that the poor little babe got it's head out and then I wanted to stop for just a quick second and catch my breath but I was assured there was no way was that going to happen.  Mom and Mark said the little baby was turning blue and Merrilee told me I had to push.  :-(  I did my best to push and unlike Caroline's delivery I saved all of my sickness for after the baby was born!  Thankfully, her color returned quickly and we had a healthy little....girl.  Since I was sick and the baby was a little blue, it took Mom asking "So what do we have?" before we heard the exciting news. 

Probably the only thing I liked about being induced was that I got to have my favorite midwife help me to deliver.  Mark joked as she came running in the room that she was our super hero here to save the day.  Although I told him he was going to make the nurse mad, I was really glad she arrived so quickly and got the little one out!


Elizabeth "Libby" Lee Taylor was born at 2:05 and was 9 lbs 1 oz and 19 3/4 inches long with red hair!  She has been a blessing!   She is a great little eater and sleeper so far.  I keep wondering when this newborn phase is going to wear off!  :-) 

Here are a few pictures after the birth...


 

I was so glad that Libby was born early enough in the day that we got to see our first baby girl!  Caroline has been a great big sister.  She has not shown any jealousy at all yet.  She calls her "Libby Baby" and loves to "hold her." 




We feel very blessed and thankful to be a family of four!

No comments:

Post a Comment