Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Light

It seems that at many of the most joyous times of year there is always a small reminder of the sin and darkness of this world.  Small in that it's not some big glaring sin but those little parts of daily life that can easily cloud my view of the Light.  My own struggles with competitiveness, pride and self centeredness have reared their ugly heads once again.  While I am aware of these struggles, it is a constant battle in my head to keep my thoughts (words and actions too) in line with Christ's desires for me. 

Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death (James 1:14-15).

My very favorite Christmas hymn brings me great encouragement...

Come thou long expected Jesus, born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,let us find our rest in thee. 
Israel's strength and consolation, hope of all the earth thou art;
dear desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver, born a child and yet a King;
born to reign in us forever, now thy gracious kingdom bring.
By thine own eternal spirit, rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all sufficient merit, raise us to they glorious throne.


Ultimately I am reminded of a verse that we recently taught Caroline, "I am the light of the world."  Jesus is Light and he has overcome the darkness of sin and death.  I know that as I continually fall flat on my face in my own sinfulness that Jesus is the one and only who can bring light and life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment