Sunday, December 15, 2013

Loved!

This is probably going to be a little bit of a messy post but here goes nothing...

Sometimes I feel a little discouraged about this world we live in.  We all get so busy in our own individual/family lives that we forget about the people all around us who may need a listening ear or a helping hand.  Mark and I try so hard to keep our eyes and ears open so that we can be available to help others.  However, we've gotten ourselves in that too busy situation lately where it's a bit harder to think outside our own family.  I definitely understand how it can happen.

Last week I was feeling a little disconnected from my friends and family since I had been buried in family, work and Christmas craziness.  I had not had a meaningful conversation with anyone in days.  Mark was out of town and chattering with 2 year olds just wasn't cutting it.  Everyone was spinning like crazy at church, trying to get stuff together for Christmas.  The lack of connection had me down.  However, a few small acts helped me to re-think this crazy world.  Our DFCS worker came to visit us and our new kiddos for the first time last week and she brought a present.  It wasn't a present for the kids though.  It was a present for Mark and me!  Woohoo!  Of course, we don't need presents but it was the thought that someone had put into doing something for me.  A church in another county had put together these baskets for foster parents.  I felt so loved.  

The next day, it hit me that we had 4 different groups of people that had offered to buy presents for our foster children.  4 separate groups!  As I counted it up, I couldn't believe it and told 2 groups - no thank you.  The other 2 were large companies and they had already bought the presents. 

The following day I went to the Foster Care Support Foundation.  I had never been there before because we've always had all that we needed for our foster babies.  This little boy needed some clothes though.  When I walked in they handed me a list and told me to go shopping and pick out all of these things for him...10 shirts, 6 pants, 4 pj's, underwear, socks, shoes, hat, gloves...the list went on and on.  They even gave us slippers.  My own girls don't even have slippers. ;-)  While I was shopping I heard my name being called and as I arrived at the front desk I see 2 large black trash bags filled with toys that they had picked out for us.  All of this was so overwhelming to me.

It was after shopping here that I got into my car and gave God thanks for all that people that have been caring for us.  I still miss that personal connection with individuals.  I still want to sit and have coffee and talk about life.  However, I have realized that everyone is just doing their best.  They may have donated clothing to the foster care support foundation or purchased a toy through their company.  The personal connection is not there but the heart is beating love.  

And as it turns out, we've also received some personal love this week too.  I came down with the flu this weekend and we've had several friends that have offered to help out and bring food.  I'm more than thankful for this community in which we are living.  I hope that we never take for granted all that has been given to us (both materially and emotionally) and that we give back 10x more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment