Monday, January 10, 2011

She was RIGHT - I was WRONG!

What a day!  Overnight, about 4-5" of snow fell all over Atlanta.  Big deal for the Big Peach.  I was supposed to take off at 7:30 this morning but realized that Delta cancelled that flight and rebooked me for Tuesday morning.  Maybe they knew something I didn't.  It gave me an option of booking a later flight this morning leaving Atlanta at 10:55am and connecting through Detroit.  I booked it!  Nicole told me time and again that I shouldn't go and that it would be a very dangerous drive and that the flight wouldn't go and that I wasn't being silly.  She was right.

The roads were one big sheet of smashed snow.  Not exactly icy, but not anything like I thought they'd be.  When I got to the airport and trudged my way inside, things looked like 3am on a Monday night and not 9am on a Monday morning.  TSA was only open on two lanes and it was plenty.  People weren't going anywhere.  To make a long story shorter, my flight was delayed while we waited for three more flight attendants.  Then we boarded and waited for permission to leave the gate.  That took an hour.  Then we taxied out and waited for a spot to open at the deicing pag (our plane was in Atlanta overnight and had a good three inches of snow ALL over it).  We waited for about an hour and a half.  Then we started deicing.

It took a team of five or six trucks a good hour or so to get close to the wing where I was.  They had to blast off the snow.  Then they all quit and pulled over to get more de-ice fluid, or so we thought.  Then the captain came on to say that because the flight had been out of the gate for about three hours, and hadn't taken off, it had to return to the gate or face steep penalties.  So the flight, that was now about five hours late, was cancelled.  Great.  Nicole was right.

I made the long, treacherous drive home soaked in humility and accented with snow.  I've cancelled my trip to Baltimore.  I won't be able to get out tomorrow either.  And I'll listen better next time, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment