Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Change

So I've finally decided to write and I'm writing the obvious. Change happens, it's a part of life. However, change never ceases to surprise me. We are getting ready for a big change. People constantly say, "A baby will change your life." or "Your life will never be the same again." Yeah, I don't know exactly how it will change but I'm sure that it will change!

However, the truth is that I have not really been thinking about the change. We took a quiz in Sunday School the other day on the seasons of marriage. Mark and I took the quiz separately but both ended up with the same result. We are in the season of summer, which is defined by words like satisfying, peaceful, committed, trusting, understanding, comfortable. I truly feel all of those things which is good. But when I look back at the quiz I think we should be in the spring season. Spring is defined by fresh, anticipation, making plans, willing to change, hopeful. All of these words seem to better describe how we should be feeling. As I talked with Mark about it on the way home I came to the conclusion that I am enjoying this moment now. Of course, I will be thrilled when Caroline arrives (which could be any day now). But I'm also just really at peace with our life now. I don't really care to rush forward into this change. I sort of feel guilty for not being overly anxious for her to arrive.


Is my lack of anticipation truly because I'm enjoying the moment or is it because I'm afraid of change? Tonight we went over to our neighbors home for dinner. Mark and I have said from the day we met our neighbors on either side how grateful we are for them. Both families love the Lord and have been extremely gracious to us! As we have lived in our home and talked about our future here, one thing we always said was we didn't want to move because we might never end up with neighbors as good as ours again! However, change happens. Our neighbors told us tonight that they will be moving in the next several months. We are very excited for them. Greg is going to be the District President for the Lutheran Church and they will be moving to Orlando. God has prepared them for this step but I'm not ready to lose my sweet neighbors. This change has surprised me and I'm not ready for it.


I think through all of this God desires for us to be in the moment, enjoying the blessings that he has given us. However, I know God has bigger and better things always in store. I need to be open to change, when it surprises me or even when it's been growing in my belly for 9 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment