Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Catch Up

I haven't blogged in forever so I thought I would play a little catch up.  January went by so quickly! 

Around the first of January we got a phone call that Mark's grandfather was not doing well.  We kept up with how he was doing by phone for the next week or so and then he left us to see Jesus.  He was a wonderful grandfather, the kind that every kid dreams of having!!  We flew out to Missouri  (Mark's traveling has it's perks - we flew for free and even got to fly first class on the way back home) and were able to celebrate his life and the joy that he brought to ours.  


The trip also served as a good, although very short visit, to catch up with Mark's parents.  Caroline soaked up all of the love and attention.  She is normally such a shy girl around new people and groups but she warmed up quickly.  When we got home, it was as if she remembered all of the attention that she received.  She was very friendly and smiled at new people for several days! 

OK, she's not smiling in either picture but I promise she had a great time!



We got home from Missouri and a few days later PaulPaul came to visit.  In my mind I had great plans for our time together but it didn't quite turn out that way.  Friday night, the whole family went to dinner and Caroline was just not herself.  She was a little crabby and she is normally an angel in restaurants (I'm sure this will change at some point).  The next morning we went to the aquarium together and we could all tell that she wasn't feeling well.  We left a bit early and took her to the doctor where she was diagnosed with her first case of pink eye.  Sadness.  We spent the rest of the day at home resting.  Sunday morning Lindsay called and said that she wasn't scared of Caroline being contagious since we had already spent so much time together so Sunday and Monday we hung out together around the house.  

I'm always so glad to see Dad!  The visit just seemed a little more chaotic than our normal life.  Mark, Caroline and I are really a pretty peaceful little family but I guess the sickness threw everything off a little.  Come back soon Dad - I promise we're not always so crazy!! 



A couple of little updates on Caroline...

I love the picture above.  She is eating a chip with gaucamole on it!  She has just learned to dip things and she has been trying all sorts of sauces.  It cracks me up.  However, her eating habits have gone down hill!  I'm trying not to be worried about it because I keep hearing it's just a stage.  She used to eat everything and now we are dow to fruit, bread, cheese and yogurt.  I've been determined to just feed her what we are having for dinner and not to cater to her wants.  Tonight was the first time that I caved though.  :-/  In my head it's a battle to get her to eat her veggies and more but I'm not willing to let her know that yet.  We'll see. 

In some other good news, I think we are trying to potty train (not too seriously though).  We used to set her on the potty occassionally before her bath and she would just giggle.  A little more than a week ago I put her on it and she pooped!  I was a little startled by the whole thing but we've started doing it before diaper changes and she goes in the potty almost everytime we put her on it!!  We're not taking it too seriously because she doesn't tell us when she has to go yet and probably won't for a long time. However, she very clearly tries to go everytime we put her on it.  It's a little crazy and scary!


Finally, a bit of sad news.  I can hardly believe it but we are going to have to give Sophie to a new home.  She has been the sweetest, best companion ever.  All of my time in college and then living by myself in Texas, it was such a joy to have her!  However, as Caroline has become more mobile and we have friends come over frequently with young children, Sophie has not adjusted very well.  She has been growling and showing her teeth.  I never thought that I would be able to get rid of Sophie.  Sophie was my child before I had a child.  We were trying to explain it to some friends who don't have kids and it's just hard.  Of course, I love Sophie but she is a dog and I have a little human to protect and love.  I no longer feel safe leaving them alone together and I can't possibly have my eye on them both at all times so it's time for Sophie to find a new, loving home.  She will be leaving this coming weekend for sure and as the time draws near, I am feeling more and more sad about it.  I know it is the right thing though.

I think that is about all that is going on here.  I hope the next update is a little more cheery than the last two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment