Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentine's Love

This past week we "celebrated" Valentine's Day.  I realized about half way through the day that I have become a Valentine's scrooge - it was really unintentional but it has happened.  For those who don't know him well, Mark is not the most romatic guy.  However, he is a stable, dependable, all around good guy all the time.  Of course, I would choose good guy all the time over sometime who has crazy extremes and works on being romantic occassionally.  Since I know he is not romantic I have absolutely no expectations that he will do anything for me for Valentine's day.  I used to do things for him but then it just got so it wasn't much fun anymore.  I was never bothered that he didn't reciprocate the love but more that the effort wasn't appreciated.  He just doesn't care about that stuff.  All of that to say, our Valentine's celebration was just a little dinner together on Saturday night.  (Thanks to Mom and Vern for coming up and watching the girls for FREE!)

However, I felt like the worst Mom ever when I took Caroline to daycare on Monday.  All of the kids were decked out in their Valentine's gear.  Parents had brought treats for the whole class and even brought gifts for the teachers.  Where have I been hiding?!  Then I get home and look at facebook...where all the dads had given their little girls flowers and moms had given them little presents.  I have got to step it up next year.  Thankfully, Caroline doesn't know the difference now but next year will be different!  Just because Mark and I aren't romantic doesn't mean I can't celebrate all of the other loves in my life!  :-)

Valentine's night was actually good though.  Instead of cooking a nice dinner like I thought I was going to do, we packed a picnic and headed to the park.  We had a good time together as a family. 




No comments:

Post a Comment