Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Howling Winds and a Tiny Voice

Last night the wind was holwing outside and there was a draft coming through the house.  Our church normally hosts 100 or so homeless on nights that are below 25 outside, as it was.  I'm assuming that since we just got through the holidays we were all a little behind in our game because we didn't have people in last night.  I think because I could hear the wind all night long I felt really bothered that people were living outside in the cold.  As I was laying in bed with Caroline doing our nightly routine I asked her who she wanted to pray for.  She said "ladybugs and butterflies"...while I was thinking homeless folks.  I talked with her about how cold it was outside and that some people didn't have homes and beds to sleep in like we did.  She caught on very quickly and said, "My peoples need jackets and blankets too.  It's cold outside."  She is 2 and 1/2 and it's very normal to claim everything as her own.  Mark and I always giggle when she says, "my people" as if she has a posse or something!  :-)  But it made me think...my people.  They are my people in that it could be us any day and more importantly it is my people in that they are God's people.  Am I caring for my people?  We prayed for them last night (along with ladybudy and butterflies too) and just got word that the church is opening our doors tonight.  We will be headed down to help for a bit with jackets in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment