Monday, June 7, 2010

Triathlon

A few months ago Noelle asked me to participate in a triathlon with her. I would get to do the easy part, the swimming, she would do the bike portion and her friend Tia would do the run. I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that she asked me to do this with her. Honestly, I haven't done much working out since Caroline was born. I am still teaching water aerobics once a week but once a week is certainly not enough to keep me in shape. I needed a challenge and this was the perfect challenge for me!!

Mark and Caroline were troopers the whole weekend. Friday night we had to go register for the event. Do you see the fancy bikes in the background?


We did a Half Ironman triathlon. I got to swim 1.2 miles, Noelle biked 56 miles and Tia ran 13.1 miles. Below are a couple of pre-race pictures...




All the folks in the white caps were in my "wave." There were over 400 people participating in the triathlon and I think about 50 or so in my wave. Our relay team was mixed in with the 40 and over men so I got to swim next to lots of hairy men who were in really good shape!



Don't you see me? Swimming was so exhilirating (did I really just use that word?)! I would see someone ahead of me and work to pass them. I would then find another target and work to pass them. It was such a great challenge!


After the swim we had to run up a little hill and into the transition area where I got to tag Noelle. Running the hill was far worse than the swim! I didn't train for that part. :-)



Noelle is so hard core! I love her expression in this picture!


Tia did awesome running 13.1 miles in the heat of the day!




We made it! We got some pretty great hats and medals at the end. I always tell people I like to do races for the t-shirts and it's true. The prizes at the end are fun.



I'm so thankful to Mark and his company for this lovely tent that we got to use throughout the day! It was so stinkin hot and we were thankful for this bit of shade!



We had a great cheering squad. Caroline was working on holding up our sign...




but Noelle's Dad did it a little better!





Let me just say a few words about Caroline. Mark and I are head over heels in love with her! She is just precious but I will say I think we won in the good baby department! She is such a trooper. She spent 9 hours outside and didn't fuss a bit. Sunday we took her to a new nursery room at church and when we picked her up they raved about how good she was. Apparently the other 3 little ones in the room screamed the whole time. After picking her up we went to lunch with some friends. She had been up since 6:30 that morning but didn't make an unhappy peep the whole time. Numerous times I have gone to pick her up from the daycare at the gym and heard them say, "She wins the best baby award." She is just so good natured. I am hopeful that this will continue!!

We love her to pieces. Unfortunately, this is what she looks like when we really do love her to pieces. :-)


Too bad she is just going to keep getting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment