Monday, September 6, 2010

Triathlon #2

It feels like just a few weeks ago that I did my last triathlon post but this was the "big" one that I have been training for, for a few months. 

Saturday morning we headed down to Callaway Gardens.  I had heard such wonderful things about it and was really excited to spend the day outside.  The weather was PERFECT but the Gardens themselves were not worth the cost to get in.  Don't hear me wrong, it was beautiful there but it cost $25/person to get in and see nature.  EEKS!  I can hike Kennesaw Mountain for free at home!

We ate lunch outside, visited the butterfly garden, ate dinner with Chad and Noelle and watched a few hot air balloons blow up and do tethered rides.  It was a little too windy for them to launch.  I was just so thankful to spend the weekend with some of my most favorite people (Mark, Caroline, Mom, Vern, Noelle, Chad and William).  There were only a few favorites missing!

Sunday morning we woke up at the crack of dawn and made our way to the Gardens for the triathlon.  The weather was again perfect, even a tad bit chilly before the sun came up.  Noelle and I got ready to swim and made some friends before the race started.



The water was as warm as bath water!  The swim was pretty good.  I had a "fancy" new triathlon suit on but it didn't quite do the job in the water.  The suit was scooping up water!  The first couple of hundred meters I kept thinking about what I should do.  I even considered dropping the top but I figured that wouldn't go over so well once I got out of the water.  :-/  I made it though!

Before the triathlon, I was most worried about the bike ride but it was great.  I think people would say that it had "rolling hills."  There were some short, steeper climbs, some longer lower grade climbs and then some great, long declines.  I'm sure that I rode faster than I ever have before on the downhills.  I'm not a fan of going downhill and a few times I caught myself saying outloud "Nicole, you're such a weinie" while putting on the brakes.  I'm sure the folks passing me thought I was crazy!



After the bike I headed out on the run.  The whole course was great because it was very shaded.  I never really got hot.  I would definitely do the race again because the course was so nice.  My run went pretty well and I ran a significantly faster pace than what I had been training for. YIPEE!  Let me just say, my fast is not even close to other people's fast!



Overall, I was very pleased with my race and was thankful to have all the support. Of course at the end I told Mark, "I want to sign up for another. Pretty please?!?" He agreed...I'm just not sure when it will happen. :-)


Caroline and William get a special shoutout for being such troopers during the race but also for the months of hardwork they have endured as we have trained.  They've had many chariot rides behind the bike, spent lots of time in the stroller as the sun is rising and spent hours in the nursery at the gym all so their Mama's could compete.  They are pretty sweet... and sweet on each other.  You should see the kissing pictures...they are just waiting to be pulled out for the wedding day.  :-)

1 comment: