Thursday, February 5, 2009

Another joy of pregnancy...

Today I went to do the hearing screens for newborn babies at the hospital. It was a very busy day with 17 babies to do! I normally am very kind but professional (I think). However, kind of like my post from yesterday...sometimes my better judgement goes out the window!

So I enter into a baby room and find the baby sleeping peacefully, the Mom eating lunch in bed and the father and grandmother sitting in chairs nearby. I proceed to introduce myself, "Hi, my name is Nicole. My your food smells really good! And I work for the hearing screen company. Blah, blah, blah." Did I really just say, "Your food smells really good." in the midst of my introduction!?!

I get the baby all hooked up for the test and explain how everything works to the parents. Now the test is running and my eyes just have to scan over to the food to see what the mother is eating. I then notice that she is eating a salad. Salads don't have smells, especially the smell I'm smelling! So, of course I must say something about it. "I thought you had fast food in the room. It smells like fast food." The Mom and Dad both point to the grandmother. She then says that she had chili for lunch. Well, chili is nice and all but "Was it chili from Wendy's? It sure smells like Wendy's in here." They all three giggle and tell me that I am correct.

Really?!?! Since when did I know the smell of different fast food restaurants. I rarely eat fast food. Only a pregnant nose could pick out such a distinct smell! I did go on to explain to the poor family that I am pregnant and that my nose is apparently very sensitive. They smiled, knowing that they had just experienced 9 months of many of the same joys of pregnancy.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny. One of the joys of pregnancy - heightened sense of smell. Before long you will have "baby brain". Can't wait for those stories!!

    ReplyDelete