Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sleep

My sleeping has been on and off for several weeks now. A few good nights in a row and then a few nights where I wake up wide-eyed at 3:00 AM wondering when the day is going to start. I have not been really annoyed by this, mostly because I don't have much of importance to do during the day so if I'm tired, it's alright. People continually tell me, "God is just getting you ready to be up at night with a baby." Last night that thought became more real in some strange way.

I was sleeping peacefully when all of a sudden at 3:00 AM I wake up to my dog staring at me with big, happy eyes and a wagging tail. She never wakes up in the middle of the night. In fact, most mornings she sleeps longer than I do. For some strange reason, she was wide awake in the middle of the night and so happy! I woke up immediately and took her outside, thinking that may be the problem. She played outside for about 15 minutes and then decided she was ready to come in. We both went back to bed but I lay in bed for the next hour wide awake and reading a book. I eventually fell back to sleep. I realize that most nights, Caroline will probably greet me with crying as I retrieve her from her bed. However, it was funny to see Sophie's wide, happy eyes and wagging tail. I felt glad to wake up and take care of her. I can just imagine waking up to care for Caroline in the same way.

Being pregnant makes me think of things in a way that I never thought I would...like comparing waking up with a dog to waking up with a child. :-/

No comments:

Post a Comment