Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama!

We traveled to Birmingham, AL yesterday for a little visit.  The youth group from Axe Memorial UMC (where we met) is visiting Birmingham on a mission trip and Mark and I wanted to catch up with them.  The youth that were in 8th grade when we left are now graduated seniors!  We are really looking forward to seeing them tonight. 

In the meantime we have had quite a time visiting Birmingham.

Caroline was not a fan of the hotel room last night.  There was a lot of this...

which finally ended in her sprawled horizonally across the bed which left Mark and I with a few inches on either side of her.  She gave us an early wake up call but thankfully she made it through the night!

This morning Mark had to take the car to work in the area which left the sweet pea and I to wander around Birmingham.


We stayed next to the Mountain Brook "Village."  When you think "village" think really beautiful, old restored homes next to some upscale shops and cute cafes.  I was a little worried that we would be stuck in the hotel room for the day but after meandering through the village I was very pleased.  Not only was this village right next door to the hotel but 1/2 mile down the street was the Birmingham Zoo and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.  I promised Mark that Caroline would not have her first trip to the zoo without him so it was off to the FREE Botanical Gardens!  AMAZING!!

The Garden  67.5 acres of sprawling, green goodness with flowers, plants, rocks, sculptors.  Their website says it is filled "with more than 20 thematic gardens, each one classified into one of three types: Gardens of Collections, Gardens of Nature and Gardens of Culture."  WOW!  We spent 1.5 hours inside and easily could have spent several more!  I wish Caroline could walk because she would have worn herself out. 


She did stay content and cool the whole time since I ran us through a few sprinklers.

I thought of Mom as I passed the "Southern Living" garden. 



















I think one of my favorite sections was the Japanese garden.  This little pond was filled with gigantic koi fish and tons and tons of turtles.  There was a grandmother and little girl feeding the fish and turtles.  Before she could get an up close glimpse of Caroline, she offered to share some bread for her to throw in.  I think next time Caroline will be old enough for that!  I can't wait!

As if I haven't said enough about the Garden...it was FREE!  My friends in St. Louis say that the zoo there is free, the botanical gardens in Birmingham are free.  What free fun is there in Atlanta?  Someone share the love!

After our trip to the gardens, we came back to the hotel and cooled off a bit.  We then had lunch at Moe's.  I'm a little disappointed in myself for not trying one of the cute, local cafes but Moe's is literally a couple hundred feet away and it was too hot to go on another long stroll.  We then did some swimming in the hotel pool and Caroline finally collapsed in the pack and play for a two hour nap this afternoon!  YIPEE!!  Here's hoping to sleeping child free tonight!

I'm sure we will have some more pictures tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I really like Birmingham;sounds like you had a great time. I sure miss you all. Give sweet pea a kiss from Grinny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birmingham is one of my favorite places! My brother and sister-in-law live there and it is always a fun trip. I didn't know about the botanical gardens, though. We'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete