Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hungry again...

One thing that I didn't realize about being pregnant was that I would be so hungry, so often!! Of course, people always tell you that you are eating for two. However, the books/doctor tell you that it is mostly your hormone changes that make you hungry and that you should only add about 300 calories a day to your diet. 300 calories is sure not feeding a whole other human being, that being said I guess it's appropriate for a baby!

Back to the hunger though, it's the craziest thing ever. It's not just a feeling of I'm hungry, I should eat in a little bit. It's the feeling of a deep, dark, empty pit in your stomach that says I'm hungry, feed me NOW! So I've been doing my very best to keep my stomach happy while still eating especially healthy. My meal times are mostly the same as before, shredded wheat or other healthy cereal for breakfast, a sandwhich and piece of fruit for lunch and some kind of meat/veggie/healthy starch for dinner. Nothing exciting. It's the snacks throughout the day that are overtaking my life. Today alone, I snacked on 1/2 a cantaloupe, 1 orange, 1 hard boiled egg, and a bowl full of veggies (tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, squash and zucchini). I'm now sitting here typing this at 9:30 PM and I'm still hungry! :-) Friends that have been pregnant before tell me that it's normal but I don't know. It's hard to get used to eating this much and not worry about gaining major weight! In my defense, I did stand on my feet for four hours at work today and then teach a water aerobics class tonight! I guess the hunger will just continue...

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully that ravenous hunger phase will end soon. I'm glad you are continuing to eat so healthy - your sweet baby will likely love it's veggies! You may have to learn to garden!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You eat a lot more healthily than I did when I was pregnant! I was obsessed with pretzels from the Target food court and Frosty's from Wendys. Seriously, I had a Frosty at least twice a week. I guess that is why I gained 13 lbs. in my first trimester... What was bad is that when I had a Frosty, I made John have a Frosty, too :). The only time my boss and I had to status was in the Target food court, because he commented that I was always there :). Enjoy the eating while you can, though, because in the end, the baby will take up so much room that you can only eat a bite and be full!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, We were at the mall the other day and I wanted an Autnie Anne's pretzel soo bad! I resisted but I agree the pretzels are yummy! Come to think of it, so is ice cream! :-)

    ReplyDelete